Its pretty much just throwing everything together to be cooked in the rice pot. So instead of plain old steam rice served with separate dishes. The dish is incorporated into the steam rice. The result is a bit like chinese fried rice, except the method calls for steaming with some fresh rice. Therefore, it is also a lot less oily than fried rice. Also Chinese fried rice is best made with leftover rice that has been sitting in the fridge overnight.
Chicken Mushroom & Dried Scallop Rice
Adapted from a Recipe originating from my grandma
- 3 cups of white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 4 dried scallops (soaked overnight - water reserved)
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked overnight - chopped - water reserved)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- thumbsized piece ginger (smashed)
- 300g chicken mince
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Using a fork, break up the dried scallops. Add scallops and the reserved water into the rice. If needed, fill the rice cooker with water to the required amount to cook 3 cups of rice.
- Add in the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and stir the rice around, so that there is an even spread of scallops around the rice. Start the rice cooker. When the rice is nearly ready...
- Heat the oil in a pan and add in the ginger. Once you start to smell the ginger, add in chopped mushrooms and the chicken mince.
- Add in the seasonings - salt, soy sauce, sugar, wine and oyster sauce.
- Pour in about 3 tablespoons of the reserved mushroom water. Enough so that the chicken doesn't dry out too much as it cooks.
- Stirfry the contents around until the chicken mince has just cooked. Discard the ginger piece.
- Open the rice cooker and pour in the contents of the pan and mix everything into the rice.
- Close the lid of the rice cooker and let the contents sit for at least 30 mins on the 'keep warm' setting.
- 3 cups of rice is enough for 3 very hungry people or about 5 'normal eating' people
- Taste the rice. If its a bit too bland, drizzle a bit of light soy sauce over the rice and mix well before serving.
- The ginger is optional, and is used to fragrant the oil and the other ingredients during the stir frying process.