11 October 2009

Warm Soft Chocolate Cake


I spent 15 hrs straight at work yesterday...yes..a Saturday. When I finally managed to pull myself out of bed today, I was in much need of some cooking therapy. The only thing on my mind was something sweet. Chocolate.
I could only think about dessert. Well.. since I've already skipped lunch, dinner and breakfast .. Somehow starting my day with dessert didn't seem too extreme. :)

I browsed the web for a simple and quick chocolate dessert and I stumbled across this recipe. It looks very similar to the molten chocolate babycakes that usually make.

Molten Chocolate Magic
Recipe adapted from Suzanne Lenzer

Ingredients:

  • 100g unsalted butter, plus more to butter the molds
  • 100g bittersweet chocolate (I used 70% cocoa)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 teaspoons plain flour

Method

  1. Butter 4 ramekins. Then place them into the fridge until they are ready to be used.
  2. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted.
  3. While that's heating, beat the eggs, egg yolks in the mixing bowl, gradually adding sugar, until the mixture is thick and pale yellow and forms a ribbon
  4. Mix together the melted chocolate, butter and vanilla extract. The chocolate mixture should be warm to touch. Pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour until just combined.
  5. Preheat the oven to 220C. Bake the molds on a tray for 6 to 7 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set.

You can invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for about 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold, the cake will fall out onto the plate. I skipped this step and just left the cakes in the ramekins. Serve immediately with some vanilla ice cream.



2 comments:

  1. I was recently in Tokyo and I had a delicious chocolate cake like this one served with black sesame ice cream on top! (The cake was cooled) and the flavors were great together! Thanks for posting these recipes, i was hoping to reproduce the dessert now that I'm back in Pa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marjorie.... I'll definitely try this with black sesame ice cream the next time I make this again.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails