Ok.. I have to admit. I've fallen into a bit of a Japanese flavor ice cream phase. I'm trying so hard to not just go and make a green tea ice cream. I've been saving that can of macha (green tea powder) for last, making everything else I can think of before I go and open that can. For now, I've ticked off Black Sesame and Azuki (red bean)... I'm thinking one more before I go for the green tea. I'm not too keen on Wasabi ice cream. Lychee ice cream maybe ? Toro ice cream is another common flavor - but I'm not sure where to get Toro in Australia. I wonder what sweet potato ice cream would taste like ? :)
Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g sweetened red bean paste
- 300ml heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Vodka
- Heat the milk in a heavy saucepan with the sugar and salt. Turn off the heat once the sugar has dissolved.
- Beat the egg yokes together. Add a bit of the warmed milk into the egg yoke mixture.
- While stirring the contents of the saucepan, slowly pour the milk egg mixture into saucepan. Put the saucepan back on a very low heat and stir constantly until it starts to thicken. You want to turn this mixture into a custard
- Take the mixture off the heat and whisk in the red bean paste really well. You can strain the whole mixture at this point to remove the lumps. But I prefer to keep the red beans in the ice cream for more texture.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then stir in the cream. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Churn the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's instructions.