Notes on How to cook the perfect steak:
- Fresh meat from the butcher. Do not freeze it. I'm not sure about you, but the steaks I've cooked even if defrosted 1 day ago from the freezer just never tastes the same.
- Try to get a good thick cut. (I usually go for the Rib Eye or New York Cut).
- Prepare the steak by rubbing it with some olive oil and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Steaks should be at room temperate before cooking
- Heat up a heavy based pan on medium high heat. (I use a Cast Iron grillpan).
- Try to turn steaks only once. For a medium-rare steak cook for 3 mins on each side.
- Once you remove it from the pan, set on a rack and place in a pre-heated warm oven (about 120C), and let the steak rest for about 4-5 minutes.
- 3 Tbl Sp of White Wine
- 2 Tbl Sp of White Wine Vinegar
- 3 Egg Yokes
- 3 Tbl Sp of Melted butter
- A Squeeze of Lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Tarragon or Shallots (finely chopped - if you have it)
Bring the White Wine and Vinegar to a simmer in a saucepan. Simmer until it reduces to about 1/2 the amount. Let it cool slightly. Whisk in Egg yokes. While its blending, add in melted butter and the mixture should start to increase in volume. Add Tarragone or shallots (if using) and season with Salt & Pepper. Taste the sauce and if required, add in some lemon juice.
Serve at room temperature with Steak.