After I've had my little bit of fun making the vanilla ice cream, I was leftover with about 6 egg whites. I was thinking meringues.. but.. again ?!... (I could already hear the moans & groans coming from my household if I produced another meringue related dish again). And then I saw this post from Not Quite Nigella... ~ The perfect saviour for my 6 egg whites !
Now I just have to get my hands on some lemon extract... :)
Recipe from Not Quite Nigella with reference to Gale Gand, from the Food Network website
- 170g unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 7/8 cup egg whites (from about 6 eggs)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup thickening cream
- 200g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 orange, zested
- In a mixer, cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add the egg whites gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Sift in the flour and mix until just well mixed.
- With a small (1/4-inch) plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread -- I used a sandwich bag with the tip of one corner cut off as a 'piping bag'.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/160C degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
- While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well.
- Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top.
- Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.
- I think the next time I bake these, I will try putting the temperature a bit higher. The edges of the cookie were really yummy and crisp, but the middle was a bit more chewy then I would have liked. I noticed the ones where the bottom had completely gone a golden brown colour were a lot less chewy.
I wonder how long its going to take for us to devour 3 dozen cookies ?! :)