10 August 2009

Coq Au Sauvignon Blanc - Cooked Under Pressure

I finished work today at about 7pm.. got home at about 7.30pm... chopped up some chicken.. veggies. Browned the chicken.. threw everything in a pot. Dinner was ready at 8.07pm.

If I didn't already mention it before...I love my new pressure cooker !!

This is a variant on 'Coq Au Vin' which is a French dish that translates to 'Rooster in Wine'. Coq Au Vin is made with red wine. However for this time, I'm using a white wine. Sauvignon Blanc to be exact. Not really by choice, but it's because I've actually run out of red wine at home.

Yes.. probably for the 1st time.. I have no reds at home. Only a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

So this Coq Au Sauvignon Blanc is really 'Chicken in White Wine'. The Sauvignon Blanc can be substituted with any other types of white wine you have available.

Also, instead of going for the full blown Julia Child's Coq Au Vin recipe, I've scaled it back to omit the braising of the pearl onions. And I use some Speck Ham I have in my fridge instead of the bacon. I also added in some carrots to help sweeten the sauce.

As mentioned before, I've put my new pressure cooker back to work. According to the guide, chicken is done in 8mins on high (15 psi) or 15mins on the low (8 psi) setting.


Coq Au Sauvignon Blanc (Chicken in White Wine)
variant of a Coq Au Vin recipe I've made before, which can be found at smitten kitchen

  • 3 Maryland Chicken Thigh Pieces (drumsticks separated, thigh pieces cut into two)
  • Flour for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 250g Speck Ham (sliced & diced into 2cm wide pieces)
  • 3 cloves garlic (smashed)
  • 1 large brown onion (quartered)
  • 2 carrots (diced)
  • 2 cups white wine
  • 1 teaspoon of thyme
  • Salt & Pepper

Season chicken pieces with salt & pepper. Dust with some plain flour and set aside.

In the cooker, melt butter in the olive oil. Add the Speck Ham, garlic, onions and carrot to the cooker and saute until the onions have started to brown. Remove from the cooker with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Brown the chicken pieces in the cooker on all sides. Pour back in the Speck, garlic, onions and carrots. Add the thyme and pour in the white wine. Close the lid on the pressure cooker, set to cook on high (15 psi) and bring cooker to pressure. After 8 mins turn off the heat. Release the pressure using the automatic release setting and remove the lid.

While the pressure cooker was cooking, in a separate pan, put together:

Sauteed Mushrooms:

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • handful of Button Mushrooms (halved or quartered if large)
  • 50g butter
  • 1 stalk green onion (finely sliced.. this is optional)
  • salt & pepper
Once the lid is removed from the pressure cooker, add in the saute mushrooms.

Finish off the dish by thickening the sauce with a Roux made out of 1 tablespoon of butter to 1 tablespoon of plain flour. Or you can use about 150ml of thickened cream. I went for the cream option this time as I was pressed for time and had some available in my fridge.



Serve with rice, potatoes or even just 'as is' for a low-carb option. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails