21 September 2009

Pesto Mayonnaise & BLT Sandwich

With the 2nd batch, I was able to make about 1 cup of the Garlic Mayonnaise (Aioli). Of which, the first few tablespoons I used on top of some toasted bread. The next half of that batch, I used by just dumping it on top of some hot roasted potatoes. Which by the way, was super yummy !

I still had quite a bit left afterwards (about 1/4 cup in fact) and I think I had just about reached my limit with the 'garlic breath' side effects.

So I turned it into a Pesto mayonnaise, and used it in my super BLT sandwich. Which is pretty much just BLT (bacon, lettuce & tomatoes) with anything else thats available in my fridge.

Pesto Mayonnaise

Mince together in a food processor (you can do this by hand if you like):

  • 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • couple of grinds of black pepper
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup garlic mayonnaise (see this recipe)

If you are using normal mayo from the supermarket, then add in 1 garlic clove into the pesto mix.

BLT Sandwich

Makes 2 sandwiches:

  • 6 slices wholemeal bread (lightly buttered)
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 2 ripe tomatoes (sliced)
  • 4 leaves iceburg lettuce (washed & passed through a salad spinner)
  • Pesto Mayonnaise (see recipe above)
  • salt & pepper to taste

The following ingredients are optional - Its just something I decided to add in (in an attempt to clear out my fridge):

  • Mushrooms
  • capers
  • cheese

I started off with the 1st slice of bread, added in the cheese, and mushrooms (which I quickly cooked in the pan I had used for the bacon) and a slice of bacon. Drizzled on some pesto mayo. Topped that with another slice of bread (wanted to keep the BLT part a bit separate), and added the remaining bacon, drizzle on more pesto mayo then added the sliced tomatoes and lettuce. Sprinkled a few capers over the layer of lettuce and closed the sandwich off with the last slice of bread. Repeat to make the next sandwich.

Slice the sandwich in half and secure with some toothpicks.



I actually think this looks more like a club sandwich than a BLT now. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails