I still had quite a bit left afterwards (about 1/4 cup in fact) and I think I had just about reached my limit with the 'garlic breath' side effects.
So I turned it into a Pesto mayonnaise, and used it in my super BLT sandwich. Which is pretty much just BLT (bacon, lettuce & tomatoes) with anything else thats available in my fridge.
Mince together in a food processor (you can do this by hand if you like):
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- couple of grinds of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup garlic mayonnaise (see this recipe)
If you are using normal mayo from the supermarket, then add in 1 garlic clove into the pesto mix.
Makes 2 sandwiches:
- 6 slices wholemeal bread (lightly buttered)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 ripe tomatoes (sliced)
- 4 leaves iceburg lettuce (washed & passed through a salad spinner)
- Pesto Mayonnaise (see recipe above)
- salt & pepper to taste
The following ingredients are optional - Its just something I decided to add in (in an attempt to clear out my fridge):
I started off with the 1st slice of bread, added in the cheese, and mushrooms (which I quickly cooked in the pan I had used for the bacon) and a slice of bacon. Drizzled on some pesto mayo. Topped that with another slice of bread (wanted to keep the BLT part a bit separate), and added the remaining bacon, drizzle on more pesto mayo then added the sliced tomatoes and lettuce. Sprinkled a few capers over the layer of lettuce and closed the sandwich off with the last slice of bread. Repeat to make the next sandwich.
Slice the sandwich in half and secure with some toothpicks.
I actually think this looks more like a club sandwich than a BLT now. :)