After making the Steamed Tofu with Fish Paste & Black Bean Topping, I still had quite a bit of tofu leftover. In a standard box of 900g Silky Firm tofu, you get about 12 pieces. I still had 6 pieces remaining after yesterday night's dinner. I also still had a bit of fish paste left, but I'll leave that for later. Right now I just wanted a quick snack.
Tofu.. Snack ? Agedashi Tofu ?
Fried tofu with dashi stock ... humm.. yes pls.. :)
If your not looking for an over rubbery version of Agedashi Tofu, then Potato starch probably works best, better than cornflour actually. Also try to look for Silken Firm Tofu in the grocery store. The softer tofu types makes it a bit harder to handle during the coating and frying process. I actually had quite a bit of dashi stock still leftover, feel free to halve the dashi stock or just fry more tofu pieces. I prefer to retain some of the crispiness of the tofu pieces. To do this, just avoid pouring the stock over the tofu pieces and only pour enough so that it comes to about 1/2 way up the tofu pieces.
- 3 pieces of Silken Firm Tofu
- Potato starch (with a couple grinds of salt) - enough for dusting the tofu pieces
- Grapeseed oil - enough for shallow pan frying
- 3/4 cup dashi stock (1 tablespoon dashi granules dissolved in 3/4 cup of hot water)
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
For the Toppings:
- Daikon - Japanese white radish (grated)
- Roasted seaweed strips
- Bonito flakes
- Spring onions (finely sliced)
- Place the tofu pieces on top of paper towels, and let sit for about 15 mins to remove the excess moisture. Carefully turn the pieces over let sit for another 5 mins.
- While the tofu pieces are drying, mix the dashi stock with mirin and light soy sauce and set aside.
- After the tofu pieces have dried, coat them thoroughly with the lightly seasoned potato starch.
- In a saucepan, pour in enough oil so there is about 0.5cm layer. Enough to shallow fry the tofu pieces. Carefully put the coated tofu pieces in to fry, turning every couple mins on each side. When every side has turned golden, remove and drain on paper towels to remove the excess oil.
- Place the tofu pieces in a bowl. Garnish with roasted seaweed strips, grated daikon, bonito flakes and sliced spring onions. Pour some of the dashi stock into the bowl (not over the top of the tofu pieces), until it reaches about 1/2 way up the tofu pieces and serve immediately.