18 February 2010

Duck Fat Potatoes - Pommes de Terre Sarladaise

This sign at my local butcher caught my eyes... Duck Fat $14/kg.

A kilo of duck fat. I wasn't exactly sure what I should do with 1 kilo of duck fat, so I asked if I could have 1/2 kg instead. And they happily obliged.

Hummm.. Roasted potatoes cooked in duck fat. Sounds soooo wrong... Yet so right :)

I didn't really know how much I would need, but 1/2 kg would surely be enough. After I spent a couple of minutes on Google, I realised I would probably only need about 3 tablespoons.

Crap...Now what am I going to do with 1/2kg minus 3 tablespoons of duck fat ????

I decided to try a slightly different method with the potatoes. Instead of parboiling them first and then roasting them in the duck fat later, I sliced the potatoes into thick 1cm chips and tossed them in a skillet pan with the duck fat, garlic and rosemary before finishing them off in the oven.

Let me just say... These were good.. Very good. A perfect side dish for our steaks.. :)

Duck Fat Potatoes - Pommes de Terre Sarladaise
Adapted from this recipe on Gourmet.com
  • 2 Cloves Garlic (Bruised with the flat side of the blade, skin left on)
  • 8-10cm Sprig Rosemary
  • 3 Red Skinned Potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons Duck Fat
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly grounded Black Pepper

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180C
  2. Wash the potatoes, removing any dirt.
  3. Leaving the skin on, slice potatoes into 1cm-thick slices.
  4. Rinse in 2 or 3 changes of cold water until water runs clear. Drain and pat with a paper towel until potatoes are very dry.
  5. Heat the duck fat in a nonstick skillet pan over medium heat until melted.
  6. Add in the garlic and rosemary
  7. Toss in the potatoes with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss and turn the potatoes gently, until they are all coated with fat.
  8. Pour the contents of the pan into a oven baking dish and place into the oven for 20-25 mins.
  9. The potatoes should be golden in colour with a slightly crispy outer layer when done.




4 comments:

  1. Oh so bad for our cholesterol but so beautiful, golden and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mademoiselle...

    thats so true...! especially after all the pork belly as well.. We are all trying not to think about the 'C' word.. and I still have close to 1/2 kg of frozen duck fat to get through... need more recipes...any suggestions ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know i know !! thats why we make them again and again... :)

    just not sure what its doing to our cholesterol... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so good aren't they! It's hard to describe to people how good they are! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails