02 March 2010

Chinese Dried BBQ Pork - Bak Kwa

I did it. I made my own Bak Kwa ~~~~~~ !!! Woot !!

When I saw the recipe on pigpigscorner, I knew I had to try it out. The original recipe calls for the meat to be baked in the oven for 20 mins on low and then 15 mins more on high. I found that with 15 mins on high, my Bak Kwa came out a bit more burnt than I would have liked. So I cut it down to 5 mins on each side.

I also used pork neck and minced the meat myself in my Magimix food processor. You can just use pork mince from the butcher. But ask for one that has a higher content of fat. The fatty parts is what makes the Bak Kwa taste so yummy. :)

Chinese Dried BBQ Pork - Bak Kwa
recipe adapted from pigpigscorner.com

  • 500g of Pork Neck (minced)
Seasoning:
  • 1½ tablespoon Fish Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon kecap manis
  • 1 tablespoon Cheong Chan Thick Dark Soy Sauce (Thick Caramel Sauce) - Optional
  • 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine
  • 1 teaspoon chinese 5 spice powder
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • ½ Cup Sugar
To brush on top of meat:
  • 1 tablespoon Honey mixed with ¼ cup of hot water
Method:

  1. Mince the meat up in a food processor.
  2. In a big bowl, add the seasoning to the minced meat.
  3. Stir the mixture with a pair of Chopsticks in one direction, until minced meat becomes like glue.
  4. Put some of the gluey minced meat on a baking paper. Cover the meat with a big cling wrap or plastic sheet and use a rolling pin to roll the meat to about 2mm thick.
  5. Remove the plastic sheet and put the entire baking paper with the minced meat on a baking tray.
Baking:

  1. Bake in preheated oven at 120C for 20 minutes.
  2. Then increase the temperature to 180C and bake for about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Remove the baking tray from the oven and let the meat cool for about 5 minutes.
  4. Flip the meat over onto a fresh baking paper, brush with some of the honey water and bake for another 5 minutes at 180C.
  5. Cool the bak kwa and cut into pieces (I used a pizza cutter) before storing in air-tight container.



2 comments:

  1. Congratuations on making this! It looks really good! My mum occasionally makes these- I love it when it just comes out of the oven and is covered with wet honey. I like to eat it while it's really hot- although this often results with me getting a burnt tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Von... :) I know what you mean....when the first one came out of the oven we couldn't wait..so ended up with burnt tongue and fingers..!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails