18 March 2010

Momofuku Milk Bar's Crack Pie

When I saw the post on Almost Bourdain.. I thought.....Oooh.... Must. Make. Pie... Crack Piiieeeee... :)

So I went out to get the necessary ingredients for the Pie, and was all set to make Crack Pie the next day after work. But then work and other annoying things caught up with me, and I never did end up making it that Thursday night.

Now that I have another week before I have to go in to get my two bottom wisdom teeth surgically removed. I thought... if I don't make it now, it would be a while before I'll be able to eat anything like this again. And after the pitiful week I've had at work.. I needed some pie.

Oh.. and for my colleagues at work, who I know follows this blog.. The final straw in my Murphy's Law plagued week. The Sparky plugged a new 3-phase rack (with kit) into configuration that had it drawing 415V instead of 240V. Lets just say there was a slight burning smell in the air. I guess I should be glad it didn't trip the Inergen gas sensors.

Ok. Enough venting about work. Back to the recipe.

I found there was quite a bit of melted butter oozing from my pie during the cooking process. So the next time I make this, I might try to reduce the butter requirements. I've tasted this when it first came out of the oven, cooled to room temperature, and cold from the fridge. I think I prefer it best when it was at room temperature, served with some plain vanilla ice cream on the side.

Oh.. and did it live up to all the hype ? My flatmates certainly thought it did. I think I was on a bit of a sugar-high after the first spoonful. Its sweet, gooey and yet incredibly satisfying. There is something about it that makes me want to eat spoon after spoon, even though its a bit too much on the sweet-end by my usual standards.

I was actually very impressed with the crust. So tasty, yet so quick and easy to make, I think it would work well as a base for my other tarts and cheese cakes recipes.


Momofuku Milk Bar's - Crack Pie
Recipe from Momofuku's Book - as seen on LA Times and Almost Bourdain

Oatmeal Cookie for Crust

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
  • Scant 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • Scant 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) softened butter
  • 1/3 cup (66g) light brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg
  • Scant 1 cup rolled oats
Directions:
  1. Heat the oven to 190C.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Cream the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Whisk the egg into the butter mixture until fully incorporated.
  5. Stir in the flour mixture until fully combined. Stir in the oats.
  6. Spread the mixture onto a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking sheet and bake until golden brown and set, about 20 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat and cool to the touch on a rack. Crumble the cooled cookie to use in the crust.
Crust

Ingredients:
  • Crumbled cookie for crust
  • 1/4 cup (55g) butter
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Combine the crumbled cookie, butter, brown sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until evenly combined and blended (a little of the mixture clumped between your fingers should hold together).
  2. Divide the crust between 2 (10-inch) pie tins. Press the crust into each shell to form a thin, even layer along the bottom and sides of the tins. Set the prepared crusts aside while you prepare the filling.
Filling

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup plus a scant 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon milk powder
  • 1 cup (227g) butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup plus a scant 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 2 prepared crusts
  • Powdered sugar to garnish
Directions:
  1. Heat the oven to 180C.
  2. Whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, salt and milk powder. Whisk in the melted butter, then whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla.
  3. Gently whisk in the egg yolks, being careful not to add too much air.
  4. Divide the filling evenly between the 2 prepared pie shells.
  5. Bake the pies, one at a time, for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160C and bake until the filling is slightly jiggly and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the pies and cool on a rack.
  6. Refrigerate the cooled pies until well chilled. Serve cold, and the filling will be gooey. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Not pretty.. but sure is yummy.. :)

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the crack love is definitely being spread around lately! And it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it tastes spectacular =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...its crack pie fever.. :) i also finally got my hands on the book.. just have to find the time to read it now.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more good accounts of this pie I hear the more I am going to have to cook it. My beer belly will not thank me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark... and the worst/best thing (depending on how you look at it) about the recipe.. is that it makes 2 pies.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the title and I was thinking...I've read something about this pie not too long ago....haha.

    It looks so good! Now I want to make this too....!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pie is following me around, whispering to me with its goopy mouth.

    I'm glad to have discovered your blog (thanks for visiting mine!) but this is tempered with pie-desire that cannot be fulfilled. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Von... If you do make it ..can you let me know if your pie oozes with a bit too much butter too ? (not there is such thing as too much butter...) :P

    Conor @ HoldtheBeef... I felt like that too when I first saw it..!! I'm so glad to have found your blog! I'm compiling a list now of all the places I want to go try out the next time i'm back home.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails