On most weeknights when I get home from work, I open up my fridge, stare at the contents for about 5 mins and contemplate what I could conjure up for dinner. Usually if I'm feeling lazy, I'll make what I call my 'one pot meal', which usually consists of meat with some veg and whatever else I feel like throwing in.
Usually using whatever ingredients I have available from my fridge and pantry that's nearing its shelf life...
I had some of this with green salad and bread the first night. Then the leftovers tossed with some spaghetti the 2nd night. Not bad considering its just chicken with some rosemary, olives, anchovies and canned tomatoes. :)
Chicken with Rosemary, Olives and Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken maryland pieces (Thigh & Leg of chicken - separated into 3 pieces)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 red onion (finely sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 120ml white wine
- 2 tablespoon olives
- 400g can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of water
- Salt & Pepper
- Season the Chicken with freshly grounded Salt and Pepper
- Heat oil in a dutch oven pot or heavy bottom pan, then brown the seasoned chicken all over and remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, gently cook the onion for about 5 mins until soft.
- Add the garlic, anchovies and rosemary, then fry for a few mins more until fragrant. The anchovies would just melt away as it cooks.
- Deglaze the pot with the wine
- Add in the olives, canned tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of water
- Bring to the boil, then return the chicken pieces to the pot.
- Reduce the heat, cover, then cook for 40 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if required.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread or with some spaghetti tossed through.