I came across this recipe from The Little Teochew when I was looking around for a sambal chilli recipe. After reading it, I thought .. Ground ikan bilis.. what a great idea ! You get the taste and depth ikan bilis took to the table with the sambal chilli, but without having to constantly be munching on them. Wonderful. :)
I was looking for a sambal belacan type of chilli recipe though. So I omitted the salt and threw in some shrimp paste. And also added some dried chillies for extra heat.
As Ju from the little teochew said.. Its savoury, spicy and sweet at the same time. I think my sambal turned out a bit dry (but still very tasty), so will probably double the amount of oil required the next time.
Sambal Chilli (Shrimp Paste & Ikan Bilis)
recipe adapted from The Little Teochew
- 70g Fresh Chilli
- 1 large red onion
- 10 dried red chilli (soaked in water)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 80g ikan bilis (grounded)
- 1 tablespoon piece palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon sized piece of belacan (dry toasted in foil packet)
- Blend fresh chilli, soaked dry chilli, red onion and garlic together in a food processor to form a smooth paste.
- Wrap the belacan in some aluminium foil and toast it over a hot pan until you start to smell the shrimp paste.
- To the heated pan, add the oil and stir fry the ikan bilis powder until fragrant. Add the blended chilli paste, toasted belacan and sugar and stir fry for another 15 mins until the oil starts to separate.