20 January 2010

Anchovy Dressing

I still had a lot of fancy lettuce leftover from making these burgers. The easiest way to use up a lot of lettuce leaves would be to use them up in a salad. I was thinking of a Caesar salad for lunch. That was until I realised the mayo in my fridge had expired about 8 month ago. Oppps... It still looked ok. But I didn't think I should risk it. So it went straight to the bin.

I didn't feel like walking to the shops, and making mayo from scratch seemed a little bit overboard for what was supposed to be a quick Caesar salad. So instead of making a creamy Caesar salad dressing, I ended up putting together this Anchovy dressing instead. I added in capers and balsamic vinegar for some extra tang. The goats cheese actually worked really well with the dressing.

Anchovy Dressing
  • 1 Tablespoon Sage (coarsely chopped)
  • 2 Teaspoons Caper (drained, rinsed)
  • 4 Anchovy Fillets
  • 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • Couple grinds of freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad:
  • Oak leaf Lettuce (can substitute with any other type of lettuce)
  • Goats cheese
  • Tomatoes
  • Olives
  • Poached Egg
Method:
  1. In a food processor set to pulse and blend together the anchovy fillets, capers and sage.
  2. Scoop out the contents into a bowl and add balsamic vinegar, olive oil and pepper to taste.
  3. Mix to combine well. Set aside.
  4. Prepare the ingredients for the salad. I used whatever was available in my fridge, so feel free to substitute with what you have.
  5. Toss salad with the anchovy dressing. Serve with some extra goats cheese and top with a poached egg.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails