I still had a lot of fancy lettuce leftover from making these burgers. The easiest way to use up a lot of lettuce leaves would be to use them up in a salad. I was thinking of a Caesar salad for lunch. That was until I realised the mayo in my fridge had expired about 8 month ago. Oppps... It still looked ok. But I didn't think I should risk it. So it went straight to the bin.
I didn't feel like walking to the shops, and making mayo from scratch seemed a little bit overboard for what was supposed to be a quick Caesar salad. So instead of making a creamy Caesar salad dressing, I ended up putting together this Anchovy dressing instead. I added in capers and balsamic vinegar for some extra tang. The goats cheese actually worked really well with the dressing.
- 1 Tablespoon Sage (coarsely chopped)
- 2 Teaspoons Caper (drained, rinsed)
- 4 Anchovy Fillets
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Couple grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- Oak leaf Lettuce (can substitute with any other type of lettuce)
- Goats cheese
- Poached Egg
- In a food processor set to pulse and blend together the anchovy fillets, capers and sage.
- Scoop out the contents into a bowl and add balsamic vinegar, olive oil and pepper to taste.
- Mix to combine well. Set aside.
- Prepare the ingredients for the salad. I used whatever was available in my fridge, so feel free to substitute with what you have.
- Toss salad with the anchovy dressing. Serve with some extra goats cheese and top with a poached egg.