18 January 2010

Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce


I still have 4 burger patties sitting in the freezer, made from this recipe. We opted for burgers for lunch, but I wanted to try something different from the usual lettuce, pickles, cheese and tomato toppings. I was thinking something along the lines of a mushroom or blue cheese sauce. Since I had both of these ingredients leftover in my fridge. Then I found this.. a recipe for Kobe Burgers with Onions, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce. Perfect. I scaled down the recipe a bit and used it to top my juicy burger.

Let me just say.. the sauce was amazing ! I think its because of the Roquefort, which is a creamy and softer version of blue cheese. So although the sauce did have a blue cheese kick to it.. it was a slightly more subtle kick. Even my 'non-blue-cheese-fan' housemates liked it :)





Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Enough for about 2-3 Burgers

  • 1 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 onion (sliced)
  • 1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
  • handful of mushrooms (sliced)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 splash brandy
  • 1/2 cup beef broth (1/2 cube of beef stock dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese (crumbled, I used some Roquefort)
Method:
  1. Melt the butter in a pan
  2. Add the onion and saute at medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  4. Add the sliced mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 7-9 minutes.
  5. Add a splash of brandy and deglaze the pan and simmer until it has reduced by half.
  6. Add in the beef stock and simmer until it has reduced by half
  7. Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese.
  8. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning as required.
  9. Assemble the burger with lightly toasted buns, lettuce, beef patty, caramelized onion and mushroom blue cheese sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails